Monday, April 27, 2009

In the News: Lesbian Couple Legally Married in Iowa Ceremony

We interrup the regularly scheduled entry on Our Potty Training Adventures for a more serious, more important post based on a article I read.
You can visit the actual Article here
And if like me, when you come across these kinds of posts, you would rather just get the jist of it... I included that too!

DES MOINES, Iowa – A lesbian couple has apparently become the first same-sex couple to legally wed in Iowa since a court ruling took effect legalizing gay marriage.The couple was allowed to bypass the state's three-day waiting period before licenses are considered valid.Officials have reported same-sex couples applying for marriage licenses in several counties.Iowa became the third state to allow gay marriage when the state Supreme Court ruled April 3 that a ban on same-sex marriage violated the Iowa Constitution.

There has been alot of same-sex marriage in the news lately. It seems that everywhere you look some state is either trying to legalize it or ban it.

Frankly I don't see the big deal. The reason I bring this up to you is because I am completely horrified by the responses I read to the article above. The responses to the article and I am sure to other such articles seemed out of line to me. These comments are the kinds of comments that make me double think our freedom of Speech. I do love our freedom of speech, I just don't get why people use this freedom in ways that just disgrace them selves. However, this is not the point of this blog. Moving on

It seems that not too long ago interracial relationships were the huge thing. In the 60's many states had it banned until the Supreme Court finally ruled on the manner. I am young still, but I remember it still being controversal to an extent growing up. It was something talked about in whispers. Today in certain areas there are ignorant people against it, but vocalizing against interracial relationships is now taboo.

I bring this up to say, in the 60's I am fairly certain many of the same arguements were being made, including the sanctity of marriage, the God is against it, and the Its not right/natural arguements.

It is time to quit those arguements (I will be bringing you a post on the sanctity of marriage later).

The Bottom line is: Why does it matter to you if two other people get married? Why is this a debate in the United States of America? A Country that prides itself on freedom for everyone. I read in a bulletin a friend posted (it made me laugh but is right on the money) So this brings me to a moving vision in my head of our brave soldiers running into battle with our flag screaming"FREEDOM FOR ALL!!! Unless you are homosexual or not a christian
"what?!?!?! is that not what happens???

For a country that is fighting for freedom for others all around the world, we are doing a poor job of it here at home. Bravo, to the States that have had the Balls, the decency, and the courage to allow same-sex marriage. My hats are off to you!

How is it possible that two other people can ruin the sanctity of MY marriage? (unless those two other people were somehow involved in adultry with me or my spouse) As my friend put it in her bulletin *I CANNOT say this any better myself*
I don't care if the person down the street marries the tree in his backyard; it has absolutely no affect on my marriage whatsoever. My marriage is special and sacred because of how we (my husband and myself) nurture and value it--not because of what other people do or don't do.

Regardless how you feel on the issue, Is it our right to interfere with other people's happiness?
The Declaration of Independence itself says: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

the pursuit of Happiness. What exactly does that mean? To me it means that each of us has the right to be happy (so long as we are not interfering with another's right to be happy). If two people getting married affects your happiness, what does that say about you? How much confidence do you have in your self? How happy could you have been to begin with?

Many people take a religous approach to why same-sex marriages should be banned. To them I say, My Bible tells me not to judge, for those that need reminding here are two separate scriptures that tell us this same thing

Matthew 7:1-Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Luke 6:37-Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

By banning same-sex marriage, by stubbornly opposing it, you are judging it. This does not seem Christian like to me.

We are all entitled to our opinions, however, how we feel about something and how we act on it are two different things. There are days as a parent when I just feel like giving up, there are times when I feel the need to hit something or someone. Yet I do not act upon those feelings, I do not express those feelings. I exhibit self control. This is the socially, and morally acceptable thing to do. We may not like the idea of same-sex marriage, but it is not our place to judge others, or to deny someone of thier happiness.

Stay tuned, Sometime this week, I will be posting on why the sanctity of marriage is already ruined, and all about our Potty Training Adventures and Misadventures

2 comments:

  1. BRAVO...!!! There should be more voices like yours. I laughed when I heard someone on CNN say that gays and lesbians should have the right to get married and be as miserable as everyone else. :-)

    But seriously, why do people think they have the right to butt into other people's lives? What right is it for people to decide whom someone else should love? My gawd!

    We have legalized same-sex marriage in Canada, and I know lots of lovely same-sex couples. It should not even be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, be as miserable as everyone else. I guess that's why they call it the big plunge!

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Comment, I can always use support, knowledge, encouragement, laughs, or whatever you have to offer!